Wednesday 11 May 2016

Contemporary Music Inspired by Tarot. No Crashing Waves or Soothing Dolphins in Earshot!

When I think about the words “tarot” and “music” in the same sentence, the first thing that springs to mind is meditation music. Dolphins, crashing waves and the oh-so-soothing language of the whale. Nice and relaxing for your tarot readings maybe, but what I’m interested as both a DIY musician and a tarot reader is not what music might be pleasant in a tarot setting, but rather what happens when musicians of all genres get their heads stuck into a deck and allow the cards to inspire the music itself. I’ve started targeting musicians as part of a big tarot-music project, and I can tell you that the results so far are fascinating!

There’s a whole world out there of musicians being inspired by tarot, both past and present (and future, obviously). I’m currently investigating these artists and I’ll be blogging these babies right here over the coming months, so if you’re as interested in discovering beautiful musical Fools as I am, then stay right here!

To whet your whistle, let’s start with two well known names in the music world : 

Robert DeLong’s album In the Cards has been on repeat around here a lot recently. I first came across this guy through a heads-up in the TABI newsletter, and since getting the album I’ve been blown away by the lush pop, intelligent lyrics and the fascinating way that this talented maestro has made a contemporary pop album inspired by the cards. Watch this gem in action!



If softer guitar-pop is more your bag, pop legend Suzanne Vega released an album called From the Realm of the Queen of Pentacles in 2014. It’s a gorgeous, subtle and thoughtful record which has tarot references all over it. Here’s a taster, the beautiful Fool's Complaint :



I hope you’ve enjoyed scratching the surface of some of the tarot-inspired music out there. If you know of any tarot-inspired musicians/bands, or if you’re a musician inspired by tarot, please share links in the comments section or email me and I’ll send you a big non-threatening, cuddly cyber-hug in return.


Creative tarot readings can be ordered here - I'm especially interested in reading for creatives but I adore working with lovely people with all kinds of dilemmas. Miaow!

No comments:

Post a Comment